No. 11 Clayton State drops 9-0 decision at No. 3 and undefeated Armstrong
SAVANNAH, Ga. – April 6, 2012 – The Clayton State Laker women's tennis team faced a tall order to begin with on Friday at Peach Belt Conference rival Armstrong.
However, with its top two players out with injury, the Lakers could not overcome the Lady Pirate charge, dropping a 9-0 decision against Armstrong. The defeat drops Clayton State, ranked 11th in the nation in Division II, to 6-10 overall and 5-4 in the Peach Belt. Third-ranked Armstrong remains undefeated at 17-0 overall and 11-0 in the Peach Belt.
The Lady Pirates won each singles match in straight sets. Clayton State managed to win only 10 games combined in the singles matches, and just three games in doubles. Five of Armstrong's players in singles are nationally-ranked in Division II.
Clayton State is back in action on Saturday, playing host to in-state rival North Georgia at Laker Courts.
ARMSTRONG 9, CLAYTON STATE 0
1. Aleksndra Filipovski (AASU) d. Marie Cercelletti 6-3, 6-0
2. Olga Kalodzitsa (AASU) d. Martina Dedaj 6-1, 6-0
3. Kathleen Henry (AASU) d. Charlotte Fabricius 6-1, 6-1
4. Marlen Hacke (AASU) d. Jessica Budd 6-2, 6-0
5. Clara Perez (AASU) d. Alyze' Pagal 6-0, 6-2
6. Jessica Gardefjord (AASU) won by default
1. Filipovski/Barbora Krtickova (AASU) d. Budd/Dedaj 8-1
2. Hacke/Kalodzitsa (AASU) d. Cercelletti/Fabricius 8-2
3. Henry/Perez (AASU) won by default