No. 9 Clayton State women fall 7-2 against No. 7 Columbus State
MORROW, Ga. – March 21, 2012 – In a Peach Belt Conference match pitting two Top 10 teams in Division II, the Clayton State women's tennis team dropped a tough 7-2 decision against visiting in-state rival Columbus State on Wednesday at Laker Courts.
The defeat drops the Lakers, ranked ninth in Division II, to 4-6 overall and 3-2 in the Peach Belt. Columbus State, meanwhile, remains undefeated on the season at 16-0 overall and 6-0 in the Peach Belt.
Clayton State won one match each in singles and in doubles. In singles, freshman Hannah Keeling knocked off Columbus State's Milica Tomic 6-3, 6-3 at No. 2. Keeling and senior Marie Cercelletti won the Lakers' lone double match with a thrilling 9-7 victory at No. 2 over Tomic and Olivera Jokic from Columbus State.
Clayton State plays next on Saturday with two matches at Montevallo. The Lakers play first against Montevallo, followed by top-ranked BYU Hawaii.
COLUMBUS STATE 7, CLAYTON STATE 2
1. Paola Cigui (CS) d. Marie Cercelletti 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Hannah Keeling (CLS) d. Milica Tomic 6-3, 6-3
3. Madeline Johnson (CS) d. Martina Dedaj 6-1, 6-2
4. Olivera Jokic (CS) d. Charlotte Fabricius 7-5, 6-3
5. Andrea Redrado (CS) d. Jessica Budd 6-1, 6-0
6. Sandra Jumg (CS) d. Alyze' Pagal 4-6, 6-4, 10-4
1. Cigui/Johnson (CS) d. Budd/Dedaj 8-4
2. Cercelletti/Keeling (CLS) d. Tomic/Jokic 9-7
3. Redrado/Renata Paiva (CS) d. Fabricius/Pagal 8-3