No. 7 Clayton State women return to action with 9-0 victory over Georgia Southwestern
MORROW, Ga. – February 26, 2012 – Two weeks was long enough for the Clayton State Laker women's tennis team to go without playing a match.
After missing their last two matches due to inclement weather, the Lakers finally returned to action on Sunday by winning their Peach Belt Conference opener 9-0 against visiting Georgia Southwestern at Laker Courts. No. 7-ranked Clayton State improves to 1-2 overall, while Georgia Southwestern falls to 3-2 overall and 1-1 in the Peach Belt.
Clayton State won five of its six singles matches in straight sets. The one three-set match was at No. 6 where the Lakers' Alyze' Pagal won a thrilling 2-6, 6-2, 10-8 thriller over Georgia Southwestern's Melinda Vansant.
The Lakers also swept the three matches in doubles.
Clayton State is back in action on Saturday (March 3) with a big challenge against top-ranked Lynn in Savannah. It will be a rematch of last season's NCAA Division II "Final Four" match.
CLAYTON STATE 9, GEORGIA SOUTHWESTERN 0
1. Ivana Krommelova (CLSW) d. Carly Cangelosi 6-2, 6-0
2. Marie Cercelletti (CLSW) d. Carl Cangelosi 6-2, 6-0
3. Hannah Keeling (CLSW) d. Mollie McGowan 6-2, 6-1
4. Martina Dedaj (CLSW) d. Victoria Ondo 6-2 6-2
5. Charlotte Fabricius (CLSW) d. Ginny Jones 6-0, 6-3
6. Alyze' Pagal (CLSW) d. Melinda Vansant 2-6, 6-2, 10-8
1. Krommelova/Cercelliett (CLSW) d. Cangelosi/Ondo 8-2
2. Keeling/Dedaj (CLSW) d. McGowan/Jones 8-4
3. Pagal/Fabricius (CLSW) d. Vansant/Katie Douberly 8-3